The Battle with Miniatures

 

Unfinished Denizens

Evenings Work.
Stressed out today. Had some news I was sort of suspecting but it annoyed me when it arrived, so after doing the things I needed to do I hid away from the TV and did some painting. Yesterday I had mounted the king of the Nazgul and some other figures that were still in blister packs (mostly hobbits) and then undercoated them this evening. When I searched through the undercoated miniatures I did I also came across pigsy (Gothmod from issue 56) as well. So here was the plan. Take my duplicate King of the Dead and get him painted to try him on ebay, while doing the witch-king and Gothmod.

The King of the Dead was relatively easy to do again, with the two bluey grays (Space wolves being one of them, never can remeber them both at once) and then some rotting flesh for the face and a silver and gold for the sword, helmet and buckles, and vermine brown for the hair. Then I used a wash of black and green ink, followed by straight green ink towards the bottom of his cloaks/clothes. While I was waiting for the ink to dry I played about with my Rohan house in the background, which has been partially finished for too long.

Using the same greys I drybrushed the stone foundations, which I have previously painted with textured paint. I did this with a 1/4 inch paint brush and for once it worked. Then I used the same for the thatch, this time with vermin brown. This picked it out a treat, and so I continued with the bigger brush to add a highlinght of bestial brown to the scorched brown of the wood. Unfortunately, this did not pick out the colours and detail as well as it did on the Bree house. I've also been undecided about how to finish the top of the foundations, but going with the flow I decided to do a sand and grit base as I would on a miniatures base. Lots of PVA and sand later I set that aside.

So now I turn back to the king of the dead, and decide to base him with the sand and glue as I have it out, but get hit with disaster. The ink has still not dried (madly, considering the heat) and it wicks all up his cloak.. I cant easily remedy this so I wash it all off under the tap, but this has the desired effect removing only the sand, pva and ink and none of my earlier work.

You can see the four items I worked on tonight in the picture. None of them finished. I followed issue 56's painting guide for pigsy, just about finishing the armour, and then highlighted the witch-king using black, regal blue and shadow brown mix. Tidied up, and went to bed, sucessfully distracted.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Archives

August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   January 2005   May 2005   June 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   April 2007   June 2007   January 2008   April 2008   October 2008  

Lord of the Rings Battle Game
Ring Owner: Hithero Site: Hithero's LOTR site.
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet

I painted Games Workshop miniatures when I was a teenager, and have started painting them again since my son has become interested in them. After subscribing to Battle games in middle earth I thought I would try and blog my progress through trying to paint them all. This blog is just about miniatures, not about the rest of my life, I do other things!

Similar Blogs:

Other BGIME Resources:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?